A portable recording device and a 2-channel USB interface in one palm-sized unit, the H4n Pro Handy Recorder
from Zoom features a stereo X/Y microphone capable of handling 140 dB SPL, as well as two low-noise preamps with locking combination XLR / 1/4" inputs, multiple recording modes, on-board effects, a built-in metronome, a chromatic tuner, and more. As such, it's suitable not only for film-audio capture, podcasting, and field interviews, but for the creation and editing of multitracked audio in conjunction with DAWs.
It has a built in stereo mic in X/Y configuration that is capable of handling sound pressure levels of 140 dB. It can also cover a wide berth whilst capturing any sound source in its center with precision. Both microphones are angle-adjustable: You can change the angle of capture from 90° (for a focused stereo image) or 120° (for a wider stereo image) simply by twisting each mic's capsule.
Also, a on-board M/S Decoder, that allows users to capture stereo audio by means of an M/S technique, rather than through the H4n Pro's X/Y-configured capsules. Should you wish to plug external microphones into the unit's preamp for this very purpose, the H4n Pro provides an on-board MS decoder, allowing you to adjust the width of the stereo image within the device itself. This is useful both for sound design and for broadcasting.
Multiple recording modes allows users to record in stereo mode
, four-channel mode
(utilizing the on-board stereo mics in addition to the built-in preamps), or in multitrack mode
, which makes use of built-in effects, overdub functions
, and the ability to work with prerecorded material. Additionally, you can use the pre-record function—ensuring you always capture audio starting from two seconds before the moment you press record—or the auto-record function, which allows the H4n Pro to start recording whenever it senses audio, and to stop as soon as the signal drops below a pre-set threshold.
Record up to 140 dB SPL with X/Y microphones.
Output/headphone jack with dedicated volume control.
Built-in reference speaker for fast playback.
Internal mix-down: Four-track to stereo and stereo to dual mono.
Up to 99 marks per recording.
Normalize (maximum gain) and Divide (file-splitting) functions.
Mounts to mic stand or tripod, or directly to DSLR with optional Hot Shoe adapter.
Number of Tracks :
- Simultaneous Recording Tracks: 2 (stereo mode), 4 (4-channel mode), 2 (MTR mode)
- Simultaneous Playback Tracks: 2 (stereo mode), 4 (4-channel mode), 4 (MTR mode)
Recording Time : 4 GB with SDHC: Approx. 380 minutes (WAV 44.1 kHz/16-bit stereo track) | Approx. 68 hours (MP3 44.1 kHz/128 kbps stereo track) | * Recording times are approximations
Recording File Size : Maximum: 2 GB
Project Files : 1000/card
A/D and D/A Conversion : 24-bit x 128 oversampling
Recording Media : SD card (16 MB to 2 GB), SDHC card (4 to 32 GB)
Display : 128 x 64 dots full-dot backlit LCD
Data Type :
- WAV Format (Record/Play) | Quantization: 16/24-bit | Sampling Frequency: 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz
- MP3 Format (Recording) | Bit Rate: 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320kbps, VBR | Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
- MP3 Format (Playback) | Bit Rate: 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320kbps, VBR | Sampling Frequency: 44.1/48 kHz
General : 1 & 2 : XLR (balanced input) / 1/4" (6.3 mm) phone (unbalanced input) combo jack
Input Impedance :
- Balanced: 3 kOhms or more, pin-2 hot
- Unbalanced: 470 kOhms or more
Input Gain : Balanced : -16 to 43 dB | Unbalanced: -30 to 32 dB
Built-In Microphone :
- Type : Unidirectional condenser microphone
- Sensitivity : -45 dB/1 Pa at 1 kHz
- Input gain : -16 to 51 dB
- Maximum SPL : 140 dB
External Microphones :
- Connection: 3.5mm Mini stereo phone jack
- Input impedance : 2 kOhms or more
- Input gain : - 16 to 51 dB
Line / Phone :
- Line output load impedance: 10 kOhms or more
- Rated output level : -10 dBu
- Phone : 20 + 20 mW (into 32-Ohms load)
Speaker : 400 mW 8 Ohms
Phantom Power : 48 & 24 V, Off
Power Requirements : 5 VDC from AC adapter (ZOOM AD-14)
Batteries : 2 x IEC R6 (size AA)
Continuous Recording Time : Stereo mode : (With built-in mics at 44.1 kHz/16-bit without headphones connected): 6 hours with alkaline batteries, 8 hours with NiMH batteries.
Stamina mode : (With built-in mics at 44.1 kHz/16-bit without headphones connected) : 10 hours with alkaline batteries, 12 hours with NiMH batteries.